Saturday 21 January 2012

Apple Tarte Tatin

We all know what a Tarte Tatin is: an upside down apple tart, due to a mistake made by a sister Tatin... that's the short story. Now, the "Tatin way" is a popular way of creating tarts, like tomato tatin, cheese tatin.
So I have decided to make my first attempt today.. I have eaten many apple Tarte Tatin before, but never thought of doing it myself. There are my different recipes on the internet so it is hard to know which one to follow. I asked a friend of mine who makes great Tarte Tatin, and asked my Mum too. Here is my first attempt: it definitely needs to be more caramelised but for a first try, it's not bad and I can confirm it tastes good :-)




This is the recipe I followed:
Ingredients:
4 large granny smith apples
75gr butter
75gr brown sugar
zest of half a lemon
Puff pastry for 1 tarte

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Melt the butter and the sugar together, until it thickens and caramelises, add the lemon zest.
Peel the apples and cut in halves (or smaller peices). Cook the apples for 3-4 minutes in the caramelised mix.
Place the apples in a tart dish or tatin dish, and cover them with the puff pastry. Cook for 20min until the pastry is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment